We’ve all heard the saying of being in ‘the zone’ or ‘in a state of flow’ – that mental, physical and psychological place that we go to instinctively when we are doing what we love. When we reach that place of total focus, we are in sync with ourselves (in the groove); it’s an effortless space in which time stops and nothing else matters but the matter at hand. In this space we are doing our best work and being our best selves. It’s where we play best, without force and without struggle. When we are in the zone we are actually in a completely relaxed state; things come about effortlessly and easily. Alternatively, the more we force things through sheer will power, the more we tire ourselves out (ie) burnout.
“Going against the right course requires a huge amount of effort. Energy flows and generates freely when it is being expressed and is allowed its functioning in ever more creative and productive ways. Not allowing this functioning it’s expression, shuts the energy and life force down to a trickle.” Writes Yvonne Evans in her book Corporate Consciousness.
I had the pleasure of listening to Yvonne speak at the Women of Worth Conference. She talked passionately about concepts that really resonate with me – about finding our soul’s purpose (the deeper functioning within us) and understanding our deeper agenda. The notion that if we are not fully present with ourselves we cannot feel what our soul is broadcasting to us, and the view that we need to be conscious about the image we put out to the world versus that which we really are – our authentic selves.
So, if being in the zone results in optimum success, then the question becomes: how do we get in the zone and stay there?
These are Yvonne’s 7 steps to living and working in a zone inspired life:
- Love who you are. If you find you are constantly doubting and berating yourself, lacking self-esteem and self-worth you must heal this.
- Love what you do. Seek out your creative energy and discover its nature and function.
- Fuel and generate your creative zone daily. Give it your focus, your attention and your craft. Share your energy, create and produce with it freely.
- Manage being present. If you are find that you are out of alignment and off centre, caught up perhaps in the future anxieties or past pains, stop and sort yourself back to the ‘present tense.’
- Manage your electro-magnetic energy. Become conscious of how people and environments affect your energy. Everyone is different. Maximize your energy and minimize exposure to environments that deplete it.
- Build a relationship with your inner genius. This is not your ego, but your inspired, compassionate inner wisdom. Build a relationship with that greatness that resides in your genius.
- Cultivate a state of ‘wonder’. Wonder opens up access to serendipity, awe and magnificence.
I encourage you to read Yvonne Evans book if you are interested in re-examining the established paradigm in our western culture, it’s a call to re-examine ourselves – the way we lead our lives, do business and be in this world.
Drop by my Facebook page and let me know your best tips for living a zone-inspired life!