This post was inspired by eWomenNetwork founder and self-made businesswoman Sandra Yancey. I heard her speak at a Vancouver summit and her journey of personal and professional development brought most of us in the room to tears. She stood before us raw with emotion and told the story of the struggles she endured when she first stepped foot on her entrepreneurial path, describing the personal set backs and tragedies along the way and how she overcame them. Sandra is an extremely inspiring woman. She credits her success to building relationships with successful people she admires and knows she can learn from. I commend her proactive and purposeful approach to creating the business empire she has today and the personal fulfillment she enjoys because of her efforts. As you take inspired action toward mastering your life and business, you may also consider this approach, which worked well for Sandra.
The fastest way to change yourself is to hang out with people who are already the way you want to be. This is a powerful statement – read it again.
As a child, my mother often told me to be cautious about the people whose company I kept. At the time, I scoffed at her judgment about my ‘friends’, always defending their honour and rebelling against her views. However, growing up I soon realized the validity of her remark, although the delivery was tactless the spirit of the message rings true. In my professional career I have come to realize the importance of building relationships with strategic people and big picture thinkers and ‘hanging out’ in the watering holes where successful people hang out. This is timeless advice.
Consider the following six ways to get access to successful people:
- Be authentic. Own your space. Own who you are, what you stand for, and where you’re at. Pay attention to your heart and honour that.
- Always cultivate. Cultivate new connections and new relationships. Be strategic about it and look for quality over quantity. Set yourself a goal to foster 3-4 new relationships per month.
- Be caring. Be in your business for ‘real’. Tap into the humility and humanity side of life. Success is no longer measured solely by bottom line results.
- Make an effort. You can’t earn trust in relationships without putting in the effort. Successful people are willing to do what unsuccessful people aren’t. Get clear on what you stand for and know your trade offs.
- Get support. Don’t be a lone wolf. Find your A-team to support you and your business. Get your strategic fundamentals in place: bookkeeper, financial advisor, lawyer, executive assistant, marketing & branding experts, and business coach.
- Stand out, or don’t bother.
The fastest way to change yourself is to hang out with people who are already the way you want to be.
If you are compelled to take action on #5 and get support from a marketing and business development expert, I’m here to help! Get in touch for your complimentary consultation to chat about your business challenges and marketing needs to determine how I can support you in achieving your goals. I look forward to meeting you!