It becomes impossible for business owners to focus on the things they need to know about scaling their business with ease, when they are stuck in the weeds of their business, putting out fires, have unending ‘to do’ lists, overflowing email inboxes, not enough hours in the day and never have any free time.
I’ve had hundreds of conversations with business owners in this situation. And many of them feel like there is no getting out of the never-ending cycle they’re in that feels a lot like the movie Groundhog Day – reliving the same day over and over and over again, until you feel like you just can’t take it anymore!
Business owners in the growth phase get caught in a loop of reactivity and short-term thinking –always behind the eight ball.
This is a risky place to operate from, because fire-fighters put out fires, they don’t grow businesses; CEOs do.
Experienced business owners have had success with their companies and with building revenue, but they just can’t seem to make the jump to the next level or even to hire the right people. It drives them nuts, taking all the wind out of their sails (and their sales!) and the fun out of their lives.
So, what does the word scaling mean for those founders – perhaps this group includes you – who can’t seem to get to that elusive next level? I like to think of this in terms of being able to grow your business while at the same time managing the expanding workload without sacrificing your level of performance, efficiency, and employee culture.
In fact, if you are scaling properly, you are creating processes and workflows that improve all areas of your operation and save you a lot of time, money and headaches. The goal of scaling is to build a replicable system for delivering products and services that allow businesses to increase their customer base without having to increase their overhead at the same time.
So, how do you scale with ease?
There are 5 key drivers business owners need to know about scaling their business with ease:
- Vision:Knowing where you’re headed is crucial to knowing how you’re going to get there. Your strategic vision is your roadmap to success, and creating a vision that both inspires and scares you (just a little!) is key.
- Cash: Marketing and sales are the lifeblood of your company. Developing a predictable and consistent business development funnel, and applying sound cash flow strategies are crucial to keep the money flowing.
- Team: Build your organizational structure to support your strategic vision. Then attract and align your team to your company values, and engage them to carry out your vision. Strategy > Structure > People.
- Leadership: Guiding your team on your vision requires you to be a Leader and a Coach. This means continuously investing in your own personal and professional growth to expand your leadership capacity. Your business will grow to the capacity you do.
- Execution: Taking strategic and inspired action consistently and imperfectly is what leads to lasting results. Welcome mistakes as an opportunity for growth, stay curious and open to pivoting. If you want to succeed in business, leave your ego at the door.
I’m curious to know which area of scale you are presently struggling with the most.
If you’re interested in learning more about I can support you to take your business to the next level of success, read more about my Elegant CEO: Scale and Leverage Program here.
To your continued success,